Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 35

108 miles from Crossville to Sevierville, Tennessee.

After a grueling ride yesterday, we all agreed to take it easy today and pretty much behaved ourselves (with the exception of the expected Joseph bursts of "catch me if you can" acceleration). This felt like a very comfortable ride, and allowed me to really enjoy some of the backroads of Tennessee. We got some incredible views of the Smoky Mountains (they really do look smoky from a distance) along the way. They look amazing from a distance and, up closer, imagine a series of slightly higher Mt. Tams.

Believe it or not, I may actually have been the freshest of the group at the end of the ride. Jeff and Bill both bonked a bit toward the end, Jeff probably more as a result of yesterday's effort than anything else. Joseph rode like Joseph, and he probably just let me lead him in to let me feel good, but I'll take it.

Sevierville is something else - like a smaller Branson, but primarily focused on Dolly Parton and not nearly as nice. We are staying at the Fairfield Inn and narrowly avoided eating dinner at the Olive Garden, so you can imagine my joy. As I write this, Sara and Syd are having dinner at Piccos - my favorite restaurant. Have a Tuna Tartare on me girls!

Asheville, North Carolina tomorrow - I'm psyched! It should be a beautiful 80 mile ride with lots of climbing, and Asheville itself sounds great. Bill has a second home there, and we get to eat at a great restaurant with he and his wife Susan.

407 miles to the Atlantic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment