Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 34

Ouch!

Today was 125 miles from Nashville to Crossville, Tennessee. From one world to another. We climbed 7200 feet, I used 8500 calories - and it was a very long day in the saddle. We actually averaged around 19 mph, mainly because at any given time one of us was pushing too hard for my taste. After Joseph got an early flat, he and I (him leading the way of course) raced to catch up with the rest of the group. We passed them, picked up Jeff along the way and sped off to lunch #1. After lunch, Karl joined us - which meant I was now in the company of three guys, each of whom was capable of making my life miserable. Joseph and Karl sped off and I stayed back with Jeff, who was feeling a post- rest day energy let down. For once, I actually led Jeff as we maintained a strong pace, finally catching up with our two companions.

From there, I just managed to hang on as the other three took turns abusing the rest of the group. By the end of the ride I was definitely in survival mode. I even got my first flat of the trip - a complete tire blowout  that required a 20 minute wait for a new wheel from the van. Jeff and Joseph just stood there laughing. I had gone to great pains not to mention that I was the only one who hadn't had a flat, so as not to jinx it - but earlier in the morning they had both talked about it and the jinx was in anyway.

Have to go - Andy's game is on. Another long ride tomorrow - can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment