Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 37

Asheville NC to Spartanburg, South Carolina. We're in our last state!

Just to prove we're pretty soft in the head, we decided to ADD a climb up the mountains from Asheville today, so that we could better experience the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bill and Gary (the Asheville Town Manager, a friend of Gary and a very strong racer in his own right) led us up the mountain - a beautiful climb and an even better descent, all while surrounded by the changing trees. After the descent we rejoined the scheduled ride, which essentially meant that we had to climb right back up to the elevation we had just left. As I said, a bit soft in the head.

Bill stayed back to take a bunch of photos we will now steal from his blog, and Jeff, Joseph and I pushed up the hill together as fast as our legs would take us. After the climb, we had a fantastic descent off of the eastern continental divide - rushing alongside the river with mountains on either side. The descent took us past Chimney Rock, and the glimpse I got looked beautiful, but with J&J all you generally get is a glimpse.

After lunch at a little Deli, we headed back out. I had a 2:30 conference call waiting for me at the hotel 30 miles away, so we revved up the engines and were there in 90 minutes, including a stop at the state line for the photo op. I now need to buy my two wing men a drink as they got me hear in lots of time, safe and sound.

The countdown continues, with only 241 miles to the Atlantic. 100 tomorrow, so the math will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment