Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 2

One down, 34 to go. Santa Barbara to Valencia - 76 miles and a beautiful ride, down the coast then eastward through thousands of orange orchards. Group shot in front of the Pacific to prove we started there (or is it photoshop?), then on our bikes and down the road we went.

Fell in with a bad crowd - Jeff and Joseph, both very strong - and will clearly come to regret this at some point in time, probably soon. We rode most of the way at 23+ miles an hour, thanks to Jeff's demanding pace up front. Beat the lunch set up and got to the hotel with four hours to hang out in my room and do absolutely nothing. Hot - but not ridiculous yet.

Joseph has a "helmet cam" and interviewed some of us while we were riding. Asked me why I'm doing this and I realized I don't have a particularly clear or profound answer. Said I needed to set myself a challenge, which is definitely true. There's also something very liberating about simply getting your ass out of bed every morning and getting on a bike. No other requirements - just ride from point A to point B.

90 miles tomorrow and it'll be hot. Can't wait! Once we climb up, we'll be in the high desert. In my mind the high desert must be cooler than the low desert, so how bad can it be?

4 comments:

  1. I think you need an answer to Joseph's question on why you are doing this. You've got plenty of time to think about a profound answer while you're on the bike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think my answer is??

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have to think about it, it won't be profound. All very Malcolm Gladwell

    ReplyDelete