Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 3

Valencia to Victorville - 90 miles of the high desert. We started with a great 20 mile steady uphill ride, with Jeff leading the way and the rest of us tucked in behind. You're going to hear the phrase "tucked in behind" from me a lot as I blog this trip. Actually, I'll try not to mention it and we can just consider it a given that I was tucked in behind Jeff and Joseph. Michael and Bill rode with us today and helped me to keep the pace at a less than ridiculous level.

A great day at a very fast pace throughout. The climb through Angeles National Forest was awesome and the high desert was beautiful. The road into Victorville would've sucked anyway, but was made even worse by a strong headwind. The 90 miles really flew by and felt more like 50 or so. Had my first massage today - exquisite pain dished out by Mistress Tara, but it felt great as I walked back to my room.

Our guides are great. Dave is all quiet efficiency and you couldn't fluster him if you planted a bomb beneath him. Hmm - will Homeland Security check out my blog because I used the b word? Marquette (great name) is a teacher, and it shows. She definitely has the skills to keep our class in line. Karl (with a K) is this total ball of enthusiasm and energy, and fixes a flat faster than anyone I've seen. Tara inflicts pain and pleasure, plus makes an incredible lunch.

The rider group is also great, and everyone seems to get along great. There are no signs of conflict, so I may need to provoke something just to see what happens.

Another 90 miles tomorrow and it should start to get progressively warmer. Like yesterday, today was hot but very manageable. Tomorrow night's hotel is described in the fact sheet as "eclectic" - this can't be a good sign.

Yes Sara, I will post some photographs, as soon as I take my camera out of my bag.

3 comments:

  1. All the best, Austin! Is there a map you can post of the entire route? Something from the organizers? It would be cool to just see the progress (you know I think visually).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is - it's on the TrekTravel web site and I'll try to get some help downloading it! Good to know you think visually, I always wondered how you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god - I actually figured out how to add the map!

    ReplyDelete